Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Ms. March: Part Three

I totally skipped posting about my favorite women last week. Packing swimsuits inspired me to bust out my 30 Day Shred DVD. Jillian Michaels is definitely not going to make the list this week.
Tracy Chapman
Singer. Story Teller. Activist.


On poverty...

On violence...

On love...

Why she is great…
Her songs just move me. Her voice is so incredibly beautiful and that she uses her gift to advance social justice just makes me love her more. I love that she has one so many awards and sold millions of albums and never compromised who she is as a person. When my little social worker heart gets tired, (as little social worker hearts sometimes do) this music nourishes me.

Fun fact…
Her first album was released the week I was born. This adds more evidence to my friend’s theory that everyone becomes obsessed with the music they just barely missed.

Tina Fey
Writer. Actor. Funny Lady.

On where she wants to go..
“I want to go to there.”

On romance…
"Lovers.. oh, that word bums me out unless it’s between meat and pizza."

On her worldview…
"Can I share with you my worldview? All of humankind has one thing in common: the sandwich. I believe that all anyone really wants in this life is to sit in peace and eat a sandwich"

Why she is great…
Because she makes me laugh my butt off every week! There are many more reasons to like her, but I think this article explains it better than I can. Enjoy!

Fun fact…
Tina is short for Stamatina.
My Friends

My real favorite women are the ones I am lucky to call friends. From the time I was very young, I have enjoyed deep  friendships with wonderful girls. Now that I work at a high school, I can appreciate how good I had it back then. Strong positive friendships like I grew up with are rare and I really believe it shaped a lot of who I am today. I still think that these girls are the most beautiful, genuine and sweet girls I have ever met.

One of the benefits of being in a long distance relationship in college was having so much time and energy to devote to my friendships. I still call the Frankie ladies “my roommates” when I talk about them and I think that causes some confusion. Derek is my roommate now, but I can’t get comfortable calling them my “friends from college.” It’s just not close enough. The Frankie ladies and my (gulp) friends from college, are so creative, funny, talented and kind. I will love them forever.

 (Since Becka missed the snow day, she gets her own super old pic)
I’ve never had sisters, but in the last five years I’ve gained 4 through marriage. Each one of is dear to me and I love them them all for different reasons. And there is something nice about friends that I’m guaranteed to have in my life until I die.


Yay ladies!

2 comments:

  1. kassidy, you are such an eloquent writer. i noticed this and remember it from phoenix. i've never known you that well but do you mind if i subscribe to your blog? i love, love, love the way you express your thoughts and it gives me a lot to think about.

    from the two or three blog entries that i've noticed on facebook and read, it seems that you are happy. i'm so glad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Michaelann! I think of you Phoenix friends often! Hope that all is well with you.

    ReplyDelete