Saturday, March 5, 2011

Winning

Derek and I went to the driving range together today. It was a beautiful day for that sort of thing and after a huge breakfast of cheesy chilaquiles a little exercise seemed like a good idea. It mostly was until we were about half way through our bucket of balls.

And then I felt it creeping up. I whiffed the ball right as Derek had a gorgeous shot. Our lazy Saturday was suddenly a competition. One that I was losing.

It reminded me of a really silly argument that we had around Christmas time. I had a bad day at work but beyond that I don't remember exactly how it started. However, I remember the tipping point. Very sincerely and with tears in my eyes I asked Derek, "Why do you have to be so much better than me at everything?"

As he often does when I am being very sincere and have tears in my eyes, he laughed in my face. Then gave me a hug and he rattled off a list of things that I do better than him to make me feel better.


Things Kassidy is better at
  1. Being nice to people.
  2. Cooking creative things
  3. Folding stuff
  4. Eating vegetables
  5. Planning and executing fun times
Things Derek is better at
  1. Driving
  2. Keeping the house clean
  3. Scooping ice cream
  4. Keeping in touch with friends 
  5. Being patient
And now we can definitely add golf to that list. Maybe there is a place for competition in a marriage. As long as you know where you stand and it comes out in tie.


1 comment: