Thursday, April 7, 2011

April Deserves Better

Birthdays in elementary school are great. Unless you were born in April.

Every one of my teachers had some sort of birthday bulletin board up in her classroom. The ones I remember looked like this...


It has all the names of the birthday children displayed in fashionable die cuts appropriate for the month. It works really well most of the time. Pumpkins for October...turkeys for November...snowflakes for December..hearts for February. You get the idea.

Yet sandwiched between shamrocks and flowers, there is April. There are no major non-religious holidays in April. Tax day, maybe? April is National IBS Awareness month, but that is not a bulletin board anyone wants to see.

Teachers realize this problem, and yet they must not leave April out. So April looks like this...


Get it? April showers.

I guess it's kind of cute. Unless you are eight and born in April in which case it's TOTALLY OFFENSIVE. Kids hate the rain. It means recess is inside and thunderstorms are kind of scary!

So, I'd like to make an argument for why April deserves better than raindrops, umbrellas and rain-loving ducks.

Why I'm Totally Psyched About April
My birthday
 
Derek's birthday
 
Jesus' Birthday: Part Two
Everybody in our family and their grandma's birthday
 
It's GORGEOUS outside
 
Tax refunds
 
Two three day weekends
 
Earth Day
 
Extra jeans days for TAKS testing
Strawberries are in season
Baseball
Chocolate bunnies
Kites
April is the best month ever! At least in my completely objective opinion.



No comments:

Post a Comment