Sunday, March 27, 2011

Every 6 Months or 100,000 Miles

Thousands of miles ago, it was my 18th birthday. It was also the morning after our senior prom. Derek and I swung by my parents house so I could change shoes before church. Derek punched in the garage code and we accidentally ruined a surprise my parents had planned.

 

This was sitting in the garage. I was pretty excited, as you can see.




I drove it to Main Street, windows down the whole way. It was the beginning of many adventures.


 

This is the car I loaded up and moved away to college in. I put too many miles on it driving up and down I-35 to visit Derek at OSU. Ryan Adams and mildly speeding one direction. Patsy Cline and quietly sobbing going the other. 

The last time I drove it up there, he asked me to marry him. I had to ride shotgun on the way back because I was on Cloud Nine and therefore unfit to drive. My mom and I pretty much planned the wedding on that drive.

On Friday, this happened.


We passed this milestone as I was driving southbound on I-37 through Atascosa County. We were headed down to Port Aransas for the weekend to celebrate the fact that six months ago, this happened.


As the numbers rolled over, I looked to my right at my sweet husband with our little dog on his lap. I thought about Little Kass and Little Derek in their prom dress and rented tux. I couldn't have imagined then that we would actually end up here. Of course I had hopes. Big expectations about college, new friends that I would make, and someday marrying him. But it all seemed a little too good to ever come true.

I wish I could tell Little Kass that it does. After saying goodbye to Derek, it was my ritual to pull into a gas station, put my forehead on the steering wheel and cry it out. It hurt so bad. I think it would've been easier if Little Kass would have known about these past six months. I wish I could tell her how she and Derek are going to drive that Jeep right up to the ocean, roll down the windows, and eat breakfast tacos. I wish I could tell her how happy she will be.





I know this will not be the last time I sit in my car and think, "How did I get here?

Someday, I will  put it in reverse and look over my shoulder and there will be a baby sleeping in a carseat.

Someday, I will notice my first gray hair in the rearview mirror.

Someday, I will notice that hundreds of thousands of more miles have gone by.

I will count a blessing with each one.





1 comment:

  1. Tyler and I celebrated our (at least) 100,000 miles together in the Corolla last semester. Of course, his car was turning past the 200,000 mile mark, but we knew that 100,000 of those were together! How fun, sounds like married life is so blissful for you (too!). I think I can guess the answer to this question, but are you and Derek going to be at Nikki's shower this coming weekend?! I hope! Love you!

    ReplyDelete