Saturday, March 10, 2012

Back to School

Derek is officially going back to school!
 
He has always wanted to go for his MBA at some point and it seems that through all of the recent changes God is leading us along more quickly than we planned. Which is fine by us.
 
So in about 18 months, we will be doing this again.
 
 
On Tuesday, Derek took his GMAT and did very well. He took a course to help prepare and was able to raise his score by 100 points. Through his studying, we both realized how completely lost we are when it comes to basic high school math. Derek has an excuse because he never took geometry, but I don't. I fear that without some serious intervention, we will be utterly useless at helping our children with their math homework someday. Sorry, kids. Go ask Aunt Emily.

Derek is applying to...
 
 
 
 
The programs at UTA and UNT begin in June and the program at UTD begins in August. We won't be moving because we love our little house and I am very happy at my job, so Derek will be commuting if he attends UTA or UNT. If he is accepted to UTD (the most selective of the three) it is so close that he could ride a bike to campus.
 
I've learned a few things from going though this process. First, Derek can accomplish pretty much anything he sets his mind to. I'm so impressed by how quickly and flawlessly he was able to arrange everything for his GMAT and his applications. Plus he does all the grocery shopping, fixes me lunch when I need it and has improved his golf game. To my sometimes scattered self, he is a wonder.
 
Second, we are incredibly blessed by people who support us. Almost everyone loses a job at some point and we are grateful to the many who reached out and let us know they understand. My siblings have gone through supporting each other while one went to grad school and it's been encouraging to learn from them. We also have many friends who remind us that they are praying and we never get tired of hearing that.
 
Lastly, I am reminded of God's faithfulness. One thing that gives me tremendous peace in this situation is remembering what it was like to gain conditional early admission to college. I was so upset that I had to leave home earlier than I planned and I cried pretty much everyday that June. But without that summer it would have taken me much longer to complete my education and put me on a different path than the friends I would meet at college. That summer allowed me to finish my bachelor's and master's degree in four years, which in turn allowed me to marry my best friend at a beautiful September wedding. I learned my lesson. God's timing is good.

Applications are due April 1st.





No comments:

Post a Comment