Friday, January 20, 2012

Fiesta Bowl (Alternate Title: Kass Eats Breakfast)

One thing that I really like about Derek is that he is an OSU Cowboy. I certainly didn’t like it when we were both in school and so far away from each other, but now I am glad to have married into the OSU family. To be clear, I am very proud to be a longhorn and my allegiance never waivers. Dressing in a glaring shade of orange is not comfortable or flattering for me, but I do my best to be supportive.

We attended several OSU football games this fall and in addition to being a great excuse to visit family, it’s been fun to see Derek get overcome with joy when he steps back on his campus for a day.

Since this has been such an historic season for OSU football, a trip to Phoenix for the Fiesta Bowl was definitely in order. With a little help from Expedia, Derek planned a great getaway for the two of us.

We flew out late on the 31st and had the tamest New Year ’s Eve ever when we got to Phoenix. I was sick with a bad cold for most of the trip and may have been asleep by 12:05.

We began the New Year with an exceptional brunch of chilaquiles and mimosas. I ate chilaquiles everyday on our honeymoon and these were the best I’ve had since then.


Next, we walked around the desert botanical gardens. We both really like succulents and the weather was gorgeous so it was basically a perfect day. It even included a very brief nap leaning on Derek’s shoulder. 

That night we shared pizza with a friend from San Antonio who now lives in Phoenix and it was really nice to catch up. Like I said, it was a perfect day.

Monday was game day and it began with chicken and waffles. I somewhat famously love breakfast, but somehow never tried chicken and waffles. It blew my mind with its tastiness.
Then, we walked around the Scottsdale art galleries and just looked at everything. We played the game of “Which one would you put in your living room?” and “Omg, guess how much this ugly rabbit is!” The answer: crazy expensive.

Finally, game time. Derek needed to sell our extra tickets and so we separated for a while because that stresses me out. We didn’t make a real plan to meet back up and I had the tickets. Naturally when we needed to find each other, neither of us had cell reception. The low point for me was sitting on the curb for a moment on the verge of tears. For Derek, it was persuading a police officer to announce “Kassidy Birdsong, your husband is looking for you” over a megaphone. It was unsuccessful, because I had an epiphany while sitting on the curb that instead of crying about it, I should go get some free barbeque at the tailgate before the game started. Which led to the establishment of a new family rule: if someone gets lost, meet up at the free food.


It was such a thrilling game and so fun to be a part of. I still can’t believe the ending.

We stayed for the trophy presentation and this lady cracked me up.


The game was stressful, so we ate our feelings at In-N-Out burger afterwards. Apparently everyone and their mother had the same idea, but that 2 am burger was worth the wait.

On Tuesday, we went to a restaurant that Derek had heard about on Diners, Drive-ins and Dives. (Why do men like that show? I think Guy Fieti is the worst.) It was actually a really cool place and Derek claims it’s the best waffle he ever had.

Our flight back home was full of fans from the game. It was definitely much more enjoyable because of the OSU victory.

All in all it was a fantastic trip. Derek and I have tried to be deliberate about having little adventures while we are young unencumbered newlyweds. It is important to us and this is one memory that I will always be glad we made.

No comments:

Post a Comment