Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Vacation: Part One

Derek and I are currently on vacation for a whole week down in Wimberley, TX. The timing for a trip worked out well. Derek just completed his second summer term (he got an A!) and I just passed one year of employment in my current job. I think we both deserved a little break and we are grateful for the opportunity to getaway together. Even though its about a month early, we are celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary and 10 years of togetherness. Special shout out to my parents who are letting us stay at their awesome place for free. We couldn't have pulled it off otherwise!

We left Dallas on Saturday and compromised by driving part of the way on 35 and then switching over to the backroads north of Austin. I'm glad we did because otherwise we would have missed this billboard in Liberty Hill.

 

Cracked me up. Did they put one up in 2005 just to honor the spelling champs and then add the football achievements later? Or was there a protest by the spellers when they put a sign up for football in 2007? Either way, we both had a good laugh. Good for you, Panther Spellers and good for you, city of Liberty Hill. Way to r-e-c-o-g-n-i-z-e.

Good friends joined us that evening when we got in and we had dinner at Leaning Pear. If you are ever in Wimberly you must try it, but you have to call ahead and reserve one of the specials because they run out. We were lucky not miss out on the barramundi with hatch chile posole and roasted corn-tomato salsa. Yum.

Jen made homemade cinnamon rolls for us on Sunday and they were heavenly! I am not a baker, but this girl makes me want to try. Everything she bakes tastes like love. Don't believe Nowlin when he says he made them. He lies.


We packed up a picnic lunch and went to Blue Hole park. In all my visits to the hill country, I had never been. I can see now that I was missing out.


The water is spring fed and limestone filtered so it is cool and clear.





 Jen and I went off the swings, too. Promise.





We also played a little paddle ball. Team Nowlin and Kass hold the record at a not-so-impressive 36. But we'll take it.

After Jen and Nowlin left, we spent the rest of the day hanging around the ranch reading books (K), golfing (D), and chasing deer (M).





On Monday, we went in to Austin so Derek could drop me off for my practice LMSW exam. But first we had to go to Foodheads for lunch. Duh.


I'm smiling because delicious sandwiches are imminent.

I passed my practice exam with enough wiggle room to where I won't have to study very much. Being back on campus was fun, especially because I got to hang out with my cousin Kim and vicariously be a student again.

On Tuesday, we went to the river park near the ranch. It was here that we learned our dog Maddie is a lot more adventurous than her size or prissy appearance would suggest. She climbs like a little mountain goat! She drinks from streams! She chooses to walk directly through the bramble! We are still dealing with the burs.





The park is beautiful and stays cool all afternoon so it is a great place to just hang out.






Maddie was more exhausted than I've ever seen her after all of the hiking. As I write this, she is comatose on the couch from which she hasn't moved since finally rousing from her bed in our suitcase at 10 this morning. Poor sleepy pup.



Today we are recuperating. Derek is golfing and Maddie and I are spending lots of time in the hammock reading some Mary Oliver. Maddie really likes Mary Oliver because sometimes she writes about doggies. Then, it's off to Rockabilly night at Gruene Hall!

No comments:

Post a Comment