Sometimes I get a little something called the sillies. Sometimes I get them after eating too much sugar. Sometimes I get them after staying up too late. Always I get them after eating too much sugar and staying up too late.
And occasionally I get the sillies at a time when it is very inappropriate to do so.
Sunday was confirmation day for dozens of young teenagers at our church. The beautiful service was nearing an end when suddenly, a baby began to squeal. But this wasn’t just any sort of squeal, it was the weirdest sound I have ever heard.
I can’t stress this enough. THE WEIRDEST SOUND EVER.
I turned to Derek and whispered…
“Is that a baby?”
“Yes, it’s a baby…raptor.”
Maybe it wasn’t that funny of a joke. Writing it out now, I can see that it’s objectively not that funny. But it just got me and I was overcome with giggles. Shoulders heaving, tears streaming down my face, I’m going to die from laughing giggles. I’d start to get it together and then the baby would screech again and I’d picture a little velociraptor in a seersucker suit squirming in a pew and I’d just fall to pieces.
Derek stayed strong for a while; because it isn’t cool to crack up like that over your own joke. But there was something about how much I was laughing and how undignified it was given the occasion, that when I finally looked him in the eye, he lost it too. They say it’s contagious.
We continued to try to muffle our giggles, said nothing to each other, and hauled it out of church so that we could finally burst into the full on belly laughs we had been suppressing for the past twenty minutes.
There are probably lots of people you could marry, but I highly recommend marrying the person you laugh the most with. Even if it means some people will look at you like you are absolutely bonkers.
No comments:
Post a Comment